local peppers & eggplant
Local pear season is upon us with peak season lasting the next several weeks! Stillwater Orchards is located next to the Sacramento River in the town of Courtland– an area known to produce some of the best pears in the world. The land has been owned and operated by the Elliot family since 1860 when their ancestor, David Osborne, settled on the Delta on the heels of the Gold Rush and ordered the area’s first pear trees from France. The Elliotts take pride in producing some of the most flavorful pears. They grow, pack, and ship on site ensuring the highest quality standards. We are currently offering the following with more varieties to follow as the season progresses:
- Delta Bartletts- classic summer pears that are sweet and juicy with buttery flesh and distinct aroma. Their wonderful flavor and smooth texture makes Bartletts wonderful in a variety of application from salads, pizzas, and jams to pies, galettes, and canning; or simply add to a cheese board. 40# case, pound, or piece.
- Stark Crimson– this colorful red pear has the same characteristics as the Bartlett. When fully ripe, the skin is at its brightest. 20# case or pound.
Locals Melons & More
While conventional cucumbers are available year round, our local cucumber season is here and we have some delicious varietal cucumbers from Del Rio Botanical- an 80-acre farm located in West Sac along the Sacramento River. For over 15 years, we have proudly partnered with Del Rio to offer unique and delicious organic produce grown exclusively for Produce Express that is varied, rare and targeted to restaurants.
- Mixed Cucumbers– may include gherkins, lemon, Armenian, serpentine, Persian, and more. 10# case.
Armenian Cucmbers– a long, slender fruit which tastes like a cucumber and looks somewhat like a cucumber inside, but is actually a variety of muskmelon. The skin is very thin, light green, with no bumps. It has no bitterness and the fruit is almost always used without peeling. 10# case.
- Lemon Cucumbers– baseball sized cucumber resembling a lemon in shape and color. Its flavor is a bit sweeter, and a lot less bitter, than normal cukes. They make great pickling cucumbers and are delicious when enjoyed raw in a salad or in a cocktail. 10# case.
dinapoli field trip
Based locally in Modesto, the DiNapoli family has over 60 years of tomato processing experience. All of the tomatoes used by DiNapoli are vine-ripened, fresh picked, California tomatoes with the primary variety being the San Marzano Style Plum tomato. DiNapoli tomato products are characterized by deep red color, soft fragile texture and a sweet natural taste. We are pleased to offer local DiNapoli tomato products packed in 6/#10 cans per case:
- San Marzano Style Plum Tomatoes– packed whole and peeled in natural juice.
- Ground Tomatoes in Puree- 50% chunky ground, vine ripened, peeled tomatoes, 50% fresh pack tomato puree.
- Tomato Sauce– whole peeled plum tomatoes, seasoned, cooked and strained to create a rich, flavorful sauce.
- Diced Tomatoes & Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes in Juice– peeled tomatoes diced to a cube, holds shape during cooking. Fire Roasted tomatoes are blackened and flavorful.
- Tomato Paste- whole peeled tomatoes cooked and reduced to a rich red concentrate. Adds thickness and body to soups and sauces.
- Tomato Puree (Extra Heavy)- whole peeled tomatoes, briefly cooked and strained to a thick liquid.
- Simply Red Whole Peeled Tomatoes- ‘cold-pressed’, uncooked, whole, peeled, round, tomatoes.
- Marinara Sauce- perfect for pastas.