The Impossible burger
After receiving requests from several restaurants, Produce Express now offers the Impossible Burger- a meatless burger that "bleeds", sears, and tastes like a real beef burger. Since its introduction in 2016, the Impossible Burger, has been added to hundreds of menus across the states from burger joints to high end restaurants like Nishi in New York and Jardinière in San Francisco. The creators of the Impossible Burger spent five years researching the texture and flavor of beef. The result is a rich and decadent meatless burger that will satisfy vegetarians and appeal to meat eaters. The ingredients include: (1) wheat protein for firmness and chew, (2) potato protein allows the burger to hold water and transition from a softer state to a more solid state during cooking (it can be cooked to any temperature), (3) coconut oil for fat (4) heme for the "meat" flavor and “bleeding” effect. Heme is an iron-containing molecule that occurs naturally in plants and animals. The protein, iron, and fat content in the Impossible Burger are comparable to conventional 80/20 ground beef. Click here for a full ingredient list, nutritional information, environmental benefits, and more details about heme in the Impossible Burger.
We offer the Impossible Burger two ways:
- Pre-formed Patties– 40/4oz burgers (10# case), $126.75.
- Bulk Ground- great for meatballs, tacos, a variety of ground meat applications, "meat" sauces, customizing the form and thickness of your patties, and more. 20# case, $247.75.
California and the Delta growers continue to be hand-cuffed by wet weather and cool temperatures. Delta growers will harvest the “first” cut this week. The first cut is generally assorted sizes and quality can be very “weathered”. We anticipate the second cut to happen Friday and hope to have the first Delta Asparagus available by the start of next week. We have limited amounts of California Asparagus available by the 28# case only. Sizing is thinner than our normal large sizing.
chocolate fish coffee roasters
Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters is a Sacramento based coffee roaster and retailer that is dedicated to roasting in small batches for flavor and maintaining direct relationships with the farmers who grow their beans. The owners of Chocolate Fish, Andy and Edie Baker, often visit their farmers overseas to learn about their quality and farming practices first hand. Coffee is a fruit and, as a fruit, it is important to be fresh. Chocolate Fish coffees are purchased seasonally within the last 12 months. They roast to bring out the natural sweetness and fruit acidity in coffee, not just the color of the bean. Their coffee is grown on micro lots, and purchased exclusively by Chocolate Fish- no one else in the world can buy them.
We are proud to offer the following varieties from Chocolate Fish Coffee Roasters:
- Brazil (Fazenda Santa Luzia)- starts with a dark berry sweetness and has a chocolate finish with medium acidity. Available in whole beans or ground in a 5# bag, $47.25. Fazenda Santa Luzia is a family-run, seed-to-crop Brazilian Specialty Coffee business known in the coffee world for great taste and quality. Jose Maria de Oliveira and his family have worked on the farm for generations, eventually assuming ownership. The mountainous terrain and consistently sunny climate of their farm make for near perfect growing conditions for coffee and flora.
- Espresso (Fazenda Santa Luzia)- semi-sweet, dark chocolate with notes of caramel and subtle orange acidity, finishes with a rich, milk chocolate finish. Available in whole or ground beans in 5# bags, $46.
- Decaf (Mexico)- stonefruit sweetness and a buttery body with low acidity and a brown sugar finish. The beans are grown in Oaxaca by a co-op of coffee producers established in 1999. The decaffeination method is mountain water processed at the source in Mexico, rather than being shipped to Canada. Available in whole beans or ground in a 5# bag, $52.25.