new radicchio rosa
We are excited to introduce a new, locally grown chicory from J. Marchini Farms– Radicchio Rosa. This gorgeous pink chicory is mild in flavor with sweet, slightly bitter notes. The leaves are delicate and soft, and vary in color from blush pink to light magenta. Use this beautiful chicory to elevate chicory salads, pizzas, pastas, or grill it as an appetizer or side dish. Available in an 8ct case.
Also available from J. Marchini Farms: Radicchio (12ct case) • Castelfranco (12ct case) • Fennel (12ct case) • Treviso (12ct case)
Additional local chicories from California Endive Farm: Belgian Endive (10# case or by the piece) • Red Endive (8# case) • Mixed Endive (12/3ct cello pack case) • Coraline Chicory (3# case)
twin peaks blood oranges
Moro Blood Oranges from Twin Peaks Orchard are now available! Less acidic than other oranges, Blood Oranges have a complex flavor- juicy, sweet/tart and rich with a hint of raspberry. Their unique dark flesh comes from the presence of anthocyanin, a natural pigment common to red fruit and flowers, but usually uncommon to citrus fruits. The level of coloration depends on light, temperature and variety. Available by the 25# case or by the pound.
Also available from Twin Peaks Orchard: Dancy Tangerines (25# case or per pound) • Meyer Lemons (10# case or per pound) • Melogolds (25# case only) • Pummelos (25# case only) • Note: Satsuma Mandarins from Twin Peaks Orchard are done for the season.
Cara Cara Oranges are also available from Central California in a 20# case.
local green garlic & spring onion
Green Garlic is loved by chefs for its light, delicate flavor. It is the same species as regular garlic, but its bulbs have not yet matured into the pungent bulbs of common garlic. Quite sharp when raw, it mellows when cooked and is ideal for infusing sweet garlic flavor into soups, stocks, poaching liquids and broths; blends well with veggies, and makes a great addition to purees and sauces, pasta fillings and risottos. From Riverdog Farm (organic); 10# case or per pound.
Spring Onions are sweeter and more mellow than regular onions, but the greens are more intense in flavor than scallions. Spring Onions look similar to scallions but they have a small onion bulb at the base that can be red or white, depending on the varietal. They are wonderful grilled, roasted whole, or used like pearl onions. Both White Spring Onions and Red Spring Onions are available from Riverdog Farm (organic) in a 10# case.
We are proud to offer an extensive variety of locally grown, certified organic dried heirloom beans from Elegant Beans & Beyond. They have been producing beans in our area for over 20 years. Elegant Beans and Beyond has received the Slow Food Sacramento Snail of Approval award for their dedication to promoting good, clean and fair food. Three of their beans (Jacobs Cattle, Christmas Lima & Hidatsu Red) have been placed on Slow Food USA’s Ark of Taste, a catalogue of delicious and distinctive foods facing extinction. The individual varieties vary in size, shape, color and texture. The following varieties are available in 5# bags:
- Black Calypso– distinct white & black markings with a nutty, slightly onion flavor and texture that is more crumbly than creamy. Best for baking and soups; simmer slowly so they don’t break.
- Black Valentine– medium size black bean, turning purple-black when cooked. Meaty texture, nutty flavor; cooks quickly.
- Christmas Lima– large, flat bicolor-cream bean with dark maroon splotches. They have a buttery texture and chestnut-like flavor.
- Green Black-Eyed Peas– small, light green bean with distinctive black mark at sprouting point. Earthy sweet flavor & buttery texture. Used often in Caribbean/African cooking.
- Green Flageolet– small pale green bean used often in French cooking. Holds shape well when cooked.
- Hidatsa Red– a Native American bean originally from North Dakota. Nutty flavor, dark red color, medium size, and similar in texture to kidney beans.
- Jacob’s Cattle– plum, white, and red speckled, kidney shaped bean with rich aroma and full flavor. Holds shape under long cooking
- Pebbles– variety of colors; tender skin and mild flavors make an excellent salad bean
- Snow Cap– beautiful white and tan coloring; creamy texture. These beautiful beans retain markings after cooking.
- Sunset Runner– medium size purple and black bean with a creamy texture & distinct flavor. Excellent when used as a baked bean.
- Tarbais– somewhat flat, creamy white bean with a very thin skin; easy to cook and digest. Tarbais can stand up to long cook times; good for French cassoulet. They are low in starch and very tender when cooked. *Please note this season was a very small harvest for Runner Cannellini beans so they will not be available until next harvest in the fall. We are substituting with the Tarbais bean for color/size.*