wrinkle crinkle cress
Chefs love Produce Alive products because of their consistent quality, beautiful color and fresh flavor! Produce Alive products are 100% hydroponically grown which allows owner, Eric Powell, to use 90% less water than traditional growing methods in his 4,100 sq. ft. greenhouse. We are proud to offer the following from Produce Alive (Loomis, Placer County, CA):
- Wrinkle Crinkle Cress (1/2# bag)– broad, spoon-shaped leaves that are wrinkled and ruffled on the edges. Their unique curled leaves add wonderful texture and flavor to salads, soups and sandwiches; also makes delicious vinaigrettes and pesto. Wrinkle Crinkle Cress has a warm, spicy, peppery flavor upfront with a sweet finish.
- Watercress (1# bag)– a member of the mustard family, Watercress is a succulent, leafy plant with a sweet, spicy flavor and unique peppery taste. Use as part of a vibrant salad, pair with roasted meats, use to accompany salmon, scallops, and shrimp, puree into soups and sauces, use on sandwiches and pizzas.
**Please note that Wasabi Arugula is gapping until March.**
daikon varieties from ray yeung
Commonly used in Asian dishes, varietal Daikon have become popular in an array of preparations and applications such as stir-frying, pickling, adding to a salad, slaw, stew or soup, slow cooking, roasting with other vegetables, or topping avocado toast. We currently have the following from Ray Yeung (West Sacramento):
- Daikon Radish (20# case)- grows up to 20” long and 4” in diameter. Daikon has a mildly peppery spice with a crisp and juicy texture.
- Lobok Daikon Radish (40# case)- ranges from 3-8” in length and 2-4” in diameter, Lobok is shorter and more round than a regular Daikon. Its flavor is a bit sweeter than a regular Daikon with a mild peppery bite. Lobok is also crisp and juicy.
- Purple Daikon Radish (10# case)- around the same shape and size of Lobok; Purple Daikon has a beautiful inner flesh that is white with stunning starburst splashes of violet matching its purple skin. Its flavor is mildly spicy with a hint of sweetness.
fresh, locally hand-made pasta
Our fresh, handmade pasta is made daily in midtown Sacramento at Paragary Bakery. The bakery uses high quality ingredients like Giusto’s stoneground Duram flour and farm fresh eggs. We offer the following fresh pasta options, available by the pound:
- Pasta Sheets– made to fit a full-size hotel pan, these sheets are perfect for lasagna. They can also be cut into desired size and shape such as Ravioli, Cannelloni, Tortellini, Agnolotti, and other stuffed pasta. Approximately 2 sheets/pound; $4.95 per pound.
- Pappardelle- a 1-inch wide, flat ribbon of pasta traditionally used for rich, heavy sauces and ragu of meat and game. $5.75/pound.
- Tagliolini- long, cylindrical ribbons of pasta best served with smooth, light bodied sauces. $4.95/pound.
- Fettuccine- a flat, thick noodle, slightly wider than Tagliatelle. Traditionally, fettuccine is served with slow cooked meat or chicken ragu or sugo but also pairs well with cream or butter based sauces. $4.95/pound.
dried egg pasta
We also offer several varieties of dried egg pasta made by Eduardo’s in San Francisco. Their pastas are made with a blend of semolina and wheat flours and local farm eggs. No salt, preservatives or artificial colors are ever added. It is dried very slowly at low temperature to preserve the unique chewy texture and flavor. We offer the following dried egg pastas by the case (12/12oz bags per case):
- Shells (Conchiglie)- medium in size, the shell shape of the pasta allows the sauce to adhere to it.
- Penne– a cylinder shaped pasta with angled ends. The hollow center allows it to hold sauce nicely.
- Fusilli and Tri-Color Fusilli– short cork-screw shaped pasta. Available in plain or tri-color (egg, spinach and beet pastas).
- Rigatoni– large tube shaped pasta with ridges down the length and square cut edges. Its namesake ridges make better adhesive surfaces for sauces and grated cheese than smooth-sided pasta like Ziti.
- Spinach Fettuccine– long, flat pasta made with spinach. The thickness of Fettuccine makes it suitable for ragu type dishes and other hearty sauces.