new vanilla, sugars and extracts
Vanilla cultivation is a specialty that requires years of constant tending and a complex, exacting combination of soil, sun, rain, hand-pollinating and curing. We partner with a locally based company, Jones & Co., to source high quality vanilla and vanilla products from small vanilla bean farmers in remote growing regions around the world. Products are packed in Auburn. We proudly offer the following:
- Pure Vanilla Powder *NEW* (1.5# jar)- vanilla bean extractives in a dextrose base; ideal for adding concentrated vanilla flavor without the alcohol found in liquid extract.
- Sweet Dough Powder *NEW* (1.5# jar)- natural sweet vanilla and citrus flavors in a dextrose base add delicious flavor to pancake and waffle mixes, cookies, cakes, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, pastries and more.
- Vanilla Sugar *NEW* (2# jar)- made with pure cane sugar and finely ground vanilla beans grown and cured in Vera Cruz, Mexico. Add an extra kick to a variety of baking applications.
- Cinnamon Sugar *NEW* (2# jar)- made using raw cane sugar and both ground and stick Ceylon-type cinnamon grown in Mexico. Spice up lattes, toast, cookies, frosting and more!
- Vanilla Beans (4oz)- grown and cured in Vera Cruz, Mexico by a fourth-generation family of vanilla farmers. The excellent unique flavor of these large beans are the ideal addition to any baking application.
- Vanilla Extract (quart)- deep in color and rich in flavor, this house blend extract is perfect for adding delicate sweet flavor to whipped cream, custards, ice cream, a variety of baking applications and more. We also offer Maple Extract, Almond Extract, Lemon Extract and Orange Extract– great for crafting beer, chocolates, cocktails, ice cream and more.
- Vanilla Puree (quart)- intense and concentrated house blend purée makes a wonderful addition to a mocha, drizzled over pancakes, added to a pork or salmon glaze, stirred into a craft cocktail, or baked into coffeecake.
carnival cauliflower & romanesco
Although cauliflower is available year-round, it is most popular in the fall and winter months. Cauliflower is great because it is incredibly versatile– it can be baked, boiled, fried, steamed, mashed, “riced”, or enjoyed raw. It is also delicious in gratins, soups, purees, and added to salads. We offer the following varieties:
- White (12ct case)
- Orange (9 count case)- sometimes referred to as “cheddar” even though it doesn’t taste anything like cheese. Its flavor is mild, slightly sweet and creamy.
- Purple (9 count case)- mild, slightly sweet and a little nutty in flavor.
- Broccoflower (12 count case)- green cauliflower.
- Carnival (6 count case)- orange, purple, and green cauliflower.
- Romanesco (6/8 count case)- part of the same family as cauliflower and broccoli but its own unique appearance and flavor. Its conical shape is made up of series of spiraled florets and its flavor is sweet and nutty.
california olive oil shortage
Due to extreme irregular weather patterns, California olive growers experienced a drastic shortage in production in the 2018 season, with olive crops across California down more than 50% from the previous year. California Olive Ranch, our source for local extra virgin olive oil, lost 80% of their crop and has cut off all food service suppliers from certain varietals including the COR Blend and Arbequina. In search of replacements, our sales team researched and tasted a variety of olive oils, most of which came from South American olives. We remain committed to offering local products and are pleased to be able to offer a high quality, great tasting extra virgin olive oil from Sciabica, a local source based in Modesto. The Sciabica family has been cold-pressing olive oil on the same property in Modesto for over 80 years, making them the oldest producer in the United States. The artisan tradition of olive oil production was learned in Sicily in the olive oil mills of Castelvetrano by Nicola Sciabica, the patriarch and founder of Sciabica’s California Olive Oil. Their olive oils are 100% GMO-free, sustainably farmed, and artisan-crafted in small batches. Sciabica EVOO is certified extra virgin by the Olive Oil Commission of California. We are proud to offer the following solutions for your olive oil needs:
- Sciabica Mission Trail 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil– *this is the replacement for the COR Blend EVOO from California Olive Ranch.* Made from Mission variety olives, this oil has a lush buttery flavor, with a delicate touch of sweetness and subtle notes of olive blossoms; no bitterness or pungency. This oil is perfect for general use such as cooking, garnishing plates, baking and more. Packed in a 2.634 gallon bag-in-box (10 liters). Bag-in-Box packaging extends shelf-life, preserves quality, dispenses reliably and is environmentally conscious.
- Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil– *we will continue to send California Olive Ranch Arbequina for one more week, or while supplies last.* Arbequina EVOO is loved for its strong fruity notes with little pungency. It has a very pleasing clean taste and flavors of tropical fruit and fresh artichoke. Used for “strong” pestos, and works well for vinaigrettes and finishings. Packed in a 2.64 gallon bag-in-box (10 liters).
- California Olive Ranch 80/20 Blend– an all-purpose blend of 80% non-GMO expeller pressed canola oil and 20% extra virgin olive oil (from South America). Versatile for most any cooking application, a mild and buttery blend with light hints of fresh olive flavor. Available in a 5 gallon box.
- California Olive Ranch 50/50 Blend- Made with a 50/50 blend of Canola and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from South America), it is milder in flavor and lighter in color than pure olive oils. It is ideal for high-heat cooking and is great for recipes that require a light taste profile. 5 gallon box.