del rio botanical
For over 15 years, we have proudly partnered with Del Rio Botanical to offer an array of unique and delicious organic produce grown exclusively for Produce Express. Del Rio is an 80-acre certified organic farm located in West Sac along the Sacramento River, owned and operated by Suzanne Peabody Ashworth. A collection of over 1,600 varieties of vegetable and herb seeds places Del Rio in the position to provide a unique selection of produce that is varied, rare and targeted to restaurants. The latest harvest from Del Rio includes (see our website for full availability):
- Fava Greens (2# case)– with mildly sweet flavor and buttery texture, these greens can be used just like spinach or pea shoots. Mix them into salads, sauté or wilt them into pasta or risotto.
- Pea Tendrils/Shoots (2# case)– soft leaves with curly tendrils that can be used raw in salads, or wilt/sauté into soups and stir-frys.
- Nettles (2# case)- also known as stinging nettles, you should wear gloves when handling raw; cooking removes the “sting”. Cooked nettles are similar in flavor to spinach and can be used in pastas, soups, sauces, and as a vegetable component.
- Braising Mix (4# case)– blend may include chard, kale, spinach, and more depending on the season.
- Red Frisee Mustard (2# case)- deep purple leaves, pale green stem, pronounced mustard flavor and crisp yet delicate texture.
POINT REYES CHEESE
At Point Reyes, every stage of the cheese making process is managed on the farmstead; from birthing, raising, and milking the cows to aging the cheese. The unique bacteria of Tomales Bay, along with the land’s lush rye grass and crisp, pristine air contribute to the delectable flavor of Point Reyes cheeses.
- Original Blue (6.5# wheel)– creamy texture and bold flavor, with hints of sweet milk, a peppery finish, and medium/strong blue flavor. Original Blue is wonderful as a stand-alone table cheese, for topping salads, melting onto burgers and steaks, mixing into pastas, on a cheese board with local honey and much more. Rindless; aged 3.5 months.
- Bay Blue (6# wheel)– a rustic style blue cheese, reminiscent of Stilton; known for its mellow flavor and sweet, salted caramel finish. Its texture is almost fudge-like with a beautiful natural rind; aged 90 days. Bay Blue compliments mushrooms, makes a delicious after-dinner cheese, especially when paired with a Vintage Port or Barrel-Aged Scotch.
- Toma (10# wheel)– a semi-hard table cheese perfect for any occasion. It has a creamy, buttery flavor and texture with a grassy tangy finish. Toma is a great melting cheese; perfect for pasta, risotto, sandwiches, burgers, vegetables, soups, and more. It also balances out a hop-heavy beer beautifully!
z SPECIALTY HONEY & MORE
Z Specialty Foods is family owned and operated by the Zeldner family, who have been producing honey in Woodland, CA since 1979. California Honeys, Fruit Spreads and Nut Butters from Z Specialty Foods are perfect for baking and make great additions to cheese boards, tea service and more!
Z Specialty honey is minimally processed, unheated, unpasteurized, and certified Kosher. The honey is minimally warmed and strained to remove dirt and bee parts. Each honey is specific to a single floral source and location contributing to their unique flavors, colors, and aromas.
|Local Wildflower (12# tub)– light in color with subtle floral overtones.||Orange Blossom (12# tub)– pollen from California orange groves is used to produce this fragrant, light honey.|
|California Coriander (12# tub)– savory and rich, this amazing honey has hints of spice and cardamom.||Yellow Star Thistle (12# tub)– named the “Champagne of Honeys” by Food & Wine Magazine, this light honey has a sweet candy-like flavor that is perfect for baking!|
|Honey Straws (125ct)– local wildflower honey in a clear, 7-inch straw that easily pops open. These are perfect for beverage service or to-go drinks.|
honey fruit spreads
Made with creamed honey, these fruit spreads blend easily with cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt or ricotta; and are great as a filling when baking, on a cheese plate, or glazed on a pork chop.
|Apricot Honey Spread (10# tub)– a sweet/tart blend of local Blenheim apricots and Yellow Star Thistle Honey.||Tart Cherry Honey Spread (10# tub)– tart Montmorency cherries blended with sweet honey.|
|Apricot-Cherry Honey Spread (10# tub)– balanced sweet/tart flavor.|
california nut butters
Unique nut butters made with 100% nuts- no salt, sugar, or stabilizers added! Refrigerate to keep fresh, smooth, and spreadable. All nut butters should be stirred until they come to a smooth consistency for easiest and tastiest use.
|California Almond Butter (7.5# tub)– made simply with roasted California almonds– no salt, sugar, or stabilizers.||Nut Crunch (7.5# tub)– California almonds, filberts from the Northwest, and tropical cashews make a delicious crunchy combination.|